Wednesday, October 23, 2013

not just a steer...he's my pet.

On Monday--finished getting all the calves that need to be weaned, loaded up and moved....Those guys always get through fences somehow and they're pretty good sized calves...It's like magic or some vanishing act they do to get through a fence line....lol.

Had a huge long talk with the men(elders) in my family about selling my steer....His name is Blue(named after my fave color) I raised him on a bottle and fed him in the barn until he got big enough to pasture out...His mama abandoned him an no other cow could take him....so someone had to raise him...and it was me..Of course I have fell in love with him and he is more a big ol pet than just a steer...he runs out to greet me in the pasture and bucks and kicks when he sees me....aww!...he licks my arm and hand so I will pet him....it's really cute and I see him as a pet NOT just a steer.

He's been banded so he's a steer now...really I wanted him for a bull for the herd but there's already a bull and you know they would fight..so at my Grandpa/Uncle's/Dad's advice I had to have him banded months back.....So now sunday nite they all had a talk with me about selling Blue because I could get about$1200 for him right now with prices being so good...and...I...said....NO!

Of course it's going against all a real cattleman stands for and especially in this family...I'm the only girl and naturally I see things differently than they do....Sure I will pass up $1200 because I love Blue he is like a pet....I raised him and he is attached to me...they think i'm crazy and disagree...They kept saying "That's no way to work an outfit...you can't keep it running wasting money like that kid!!!"

I know they think I am crazy for not wanting to sell him..but he's a pet to me...and I think it should be my call on this one.....$1200??? who cares he's staying.

oh! and finally saw the Dr. about my sinus infection/bronchitis---gave me Bactrium.....hope I get better!

No comments:

Post a Comment