Friday, March 18, 2016

pie shops....

Driving through Oklahoma City recently I drove past the old pie shop Pioneer Pies....I have had a meal there and also purchased a pie there to take home, years ago...I like all of the pies...and the tin pie pans.

Baking and creating all kinds of pies during the summer after working in the fields is something that is a tradition to me because my Grandma has always baked/prepared pies for everyone at noon dinner after everyone has completed field work that day, so it has always been fun to create a pie that is good for everyone to enjoy at the dinner table!

Preparing and then taking the cooked meals to the fields at noon and driving to the field while family has been working there...something I have always enjoyed!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I love pie shops, and I think they are very cute and a nice way to enjoy a slice of pie or two, while socializing... I like to enjoy pie with milk or tea as a refreshment after noon dinner....

there are many different kinds of pies to bake/create..here are the ones I have created and I like:

Lemon
Chocolate
Peach
Blueberry
Strawberry
Apple
Apple Crumble
Pumpkin
Pecan
Caramel
Cherry
Cherry Cheese
Coconut

Topping the pies with Meringue is something I enjoy....Creating Meringue can be especially challenging sometimes and may take practice to get it perfect!....lol.....

I place meringue onto the top of  Cherry Cheese pie, Coconut Cream Pie, Chocolate Pie, Lemon Pie....and bake the pies....

MERINGUE RECIPE:

3 Egg Whites
1/4 tsp. Cream of Tartar
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
6 Tbsp. Sugar
1/3 c. Coconut(if you like coconut)

Beat the egg whites until foamy with hand held mixer. Add next 3 ingredients. Continue beating the mixture until it forms peaks when you lift up the beaters from the mixture it will make peaks... Spread the meringue onto top of pie. Sprinkle coconut if you wish to, and BAKE at 350 degrees until lightly browned....

Being able to prepare meals, bake, and learning how to cook is something that is a tradition in my family...lol..they want me to know how to create all these great dinners/desserts.....it is just something you have got to learn properly and I have so many old recipes handed down to me from my great-grandparents...Good ol' southern cooking....lol....

I have a recipe for a Caramel Pie from my Great-Granny and it is very challenging! Melting the sugar in the pan is the worst part of the recipe!...Haha...Oh, it is a good pie to enjoy!...But that melting the sugar til brownish coloring in the old way is a challenge!....She must have used a old cast iron metal pan or something way back then!...lol...

j.










No comments:

Post a Comment