Saturday, October 11, 2014

clouds.....

Finally got cooler...I really wish it would rain a lot!

I like to look at clouds and research them...I saw some yesterday that were I think thunderstorm clouds forming to make a thunderstorm..they kind of make a tower......whenever I see one like that, I can go home and look at radar on the internet or I can look at the weather radar on the weather channel and I can see that a thunderstorm has formed in that area.....it's really nerdy but I like to do that.

there are a lot of different types of clouds that form and have very pretty colors or unique formations...

different types of clouds are:

Cirrus--wispy feather like clouds made of ice crystals first sign of an approaching warm front

Cumulus--almost a thunderstorm but a flat towering thunderstorm cloud

Stratus--uniform and flat produce gray layer of cloud cover may be free of precipitation or may cause light drizzle.

Altocumulus--heap like clouds that indicate elevated instability look like streets of clouds

Altostratus--flat & uniform they indicate a warm front

Nimbostratus--dense clouds that produce steady rain or snow they are flat at the bottom and rounded at the top of the cloud.

Cirrostratus--layer of clouds when sunlight or moonlight pass through the clouds it looks like a prism or halo when it passes through hexagonal shaped ice crystals

Cumulonimbus---Which is a towering thunderstorm cloud

Wall cloud-a localized lowering from a rain free base of a strong thunderstorm different shapes and sizes...usually causes a tornado.

Shelf cloud-Low horizontal wedge shaped cloud associated with the leading edge of a thunderstorm's outflow or gust front and potentially strong winds..sometimes scarey they normally don't form tornadoes

fog--is a cloud on the ground

there are a few more clouds but those are all I can think of right now.



No comments:

Post a Comment