Monday, June 15, 2015

pickling and canning.....

Been very rainy, so I have went to the garden and found more potatoes to dig and wash yesterday...I also found more yellow squash, cucumbers, and beets...so my garden is doing fairly well...

Yesterday I pickled the cucumbers when i found a recipe to make pickles....I have been canning and pickling and I have more of that to complete this week with making the pickled beets...

 I purchased the ingredients for pickling and I started to work on turning the cucumbers into pickles...they will have to set a while and pickle....you can make sweet and regular pickles...I made both....

I really like pickled beets and I have plenty of beets to work with! that's my next project.

I have purchased canning supplies at the store last year and I still have them...I washed and dried them, then I begin the process of canning and pickling....

it takes a while and you always have to wash everything you use to can and pickle and your vegetables need to always be washed ya know?...haha!..nobody likes dirt in them!

there are spices that are needed to make the right pickling process work and they only work when in the recipe...some of those stink by themselves!....lol...I had to purchase those in the small containers at the grocery store.

the good thing about this canning and pickling is that you can have these things unopened for quite a while and it will not be spoiled when unopened....

sealing the canning jars is something that I always make sure I properly complete...because if it is not sealed right it will be contaminated and spoiled....icky!

I'm really having fun this summer working in the garden and collecting vegetables I have grown, weeded and watered....













No comments:

Post a Comment