Tuesday, November 24, 2015

winter accessories and preparedness....Sorry ! lots of rambling

Since Winter is here. I know of many items I like to have with me throughout the season.For safety, for health, for warmth, or to just have there in case of emergencies.I also want to make sure that I check on others safety and take care of my pets....not just this time of year but always..

Elderly and ill----One thing that I always like to make sure of is that I check on my Grandparents whenever I know that a snow or an icy storm may take place soon..I like to have their medicines there for them, make sure their heating is working in their home, and make sure they have a way to call me if they need help...elderly need to be checked on at all times.If anyone is ill with something I would stay with them til the bad weather is over, and I would make very sure they have all medications and shelter, ability to call for help if needed..

Pets---I make very sure that my pets are warm, with warm houses if they stay outside.I always have plenty of warm hay in their houses, and I like to feed them warmed food in their bowls in the late evening..I just remove the labeling from their cans, place the cans in a pan of very hot water and set that in the sink to warm...then open the cans with can opener, place in their bowls near their houses..I feed them canned food more often or I like to pour very warm water in their bowls of dry food.....Goofball likes this canned warmed food like that..Just not too hot of water!....Purchasing a few extra cans of food is good during the bad weather....if they are sick take them to the veterinarian ahead of time before bad road conditions appear, same goes for livestock...Plenty of cat litter, cat foods are also needed for bad weather days

Vehicles---I always fuel up the vehicles with plenty of fuel and make sure they are working good...during snows or icy storms...Brr!

Livestock---Purchasing a few extra sacks of feed and making sure you have a few round bales of hay out for them during snows and icy weather and remembering that pond water freezes and you need to break the water with something near the edge so they can drink during the day...you sometimes have to break the pond everyday in freezing temperatures.

Space heaters, Electric blankets----Sometimes the heating at my house is just not warm enough when the cold north wind is terrible and I have purchased in the last couple of years space heaters at stores and I place them in the bathrooms, kitchen or any room that has tile, wood, or a surface that has NO carpet or items near the space heater!!!If you place anything near the space heaters it will catch fire!..Dangerous..so I just place them in those rooms......Electric blankets and electric heated throws are 2 items that I enjoy in winter..I have an electric blanket I was given as a gift several years ago from my Grandma..i really like it!...it was $45...Electric throws are nice to just place on your feet or cover up with while you are lounging in a chair...$20 for those..IF you are diabetic remember to NEVER turn up the heat too much on your blanket..it can cause many dangerous problems...Plain blankets are also a favorite of mine to place on my bed at night to sleep....keeps me warm!

Winter weather clothing----Gloves, socks, caps, mittens, coats, good boots, scarves, thermal underwears---All needed during the cold harsh winter weather..I like all of these! Also---hand and feet warmer packs that you squeeze and place in your gloves and shoes for warmth work good too...(genius invention!)...lol.

Water and Snacks, Food---always necessary to have plenty of snacks, bottled water, food incase you are snowed in at home.

Hand Lotion, Lip Balm----I always have to have a hand lotion unscented(allergies!) because the cold weather and heaters in my home makes my skin very dry and itchy..i also like to have a lip balm with me..I like Carmex.

Paper Hygiene items---those are always needed..in case you are snowed in at home and roads are terrible you need these already at home....paper towels, tissues for colds/sneezing, toiletry items, female hygiene paper items....

Allergy medicines---I have terrible allergies/asthma and I can have allergic reactions to things I am near...So it is best to have allergy medicines, inhalers and EpiPens on hand if you have severe allergies/asthma..I have never went into anaphylactic shock or anything but I know people need those on hand at all times...I am allergic to some smokes, scented perfumes, scented candles, some clothing detergents, and some bar soaps, latex gloves/some latex bandages, wasps, shellfish, some fabric dyes, cedar trees, hair care items/sprays, nail shops(the strong smell takes my breath and I sneeze! I just create my false nails myself if I want to wear them)......pollen, mold, dusts...I am NOT however allergic to pet dander..i have been tested for that one in an allergy test...I like hypo allergenic items!
 
Itchy Topical Lotions---for rashes and itchy allergic skin reactions are also good to have at all times...check first to be sure they don't react dangerously with other medications..

Citrus Juice---I like to especially drink citrus juices along with my regular cranberry juice during the winter cold/flu season...I drink more citrus juices...

Juice Mixes---with extra of the vitamin C that helps fight colds and the flu:
Tang, Sunny D

Frozen juices in a can you mix with water:
5 Alive is one of my favorites, and just any plain orange juice...

Pure orange juices i like----Florida's Natural, Tropicana, Simply Orange

Cough drops and Vitamin C drops--I like Hall's cough drops and Hall's Vitamin C Defense Drops to help battle colds/flus---I only have a few Hall's Vitamin C Defense drops once or twice throughout the week or any Vitamin C drops I can find in the stores...during winter.

Soups---Canned soups are something I really like..( I also like to prepare soup from recipes at home)

Campbell's Soups are a favorite of mine..i like them all---condensed or chunky(like stew)..I have always liked Chicken and Stars soup when I have been sick with the flu or have a cold!....Haha...all through my life I have had to have Chicken and Stars when I am ill....

Emergency kits---Those are needed in your vehicles in case you have problems on the road driving, and drive sloooooow on the icy/snowy roads!!!...carry blankets, non-perishable snacks, bottled water in your back seat when driving during bad weather....

Weather radios----that power off batteries are also helpful to have at home incase electricity goes off..i have one..keeps you informed.You can listen in to those and some times they give road condition numbers you can call to see how hazardous the road conditions are for driving that is from the local Highway Patrol...also watch local tv stations for information too.

Always keep your cell phones powered.

remember if the weather is too hazardous just stay home if you don't have to be driving to or from anywhere!...It causes so many dangerous vehicle accidents and is very dangerous to drive on icy/snowy roads...just stay home if you can..no driving!

I always like to prepare for bad weather I have had to drive on icy snowy roads at night after night classes alone, I was scared...I drove slow but my car still slid some....And I have been snowed in at my home without any power for 2 weeks!...

Coffee, hot chocolate, and plenty of donuts are needed during these difficult times as well...haha!....also cooking good, nice warm meals in this cold nasty weather are needed too...Bwahaha!!!

Julie





















No comments:

Post a Comment