Wednesday, December 16, 2015

elderly at the holidays...

I was able to go shopping yesterday...I found a new coloring book and it was called Animal Rescue. I thought it was very kind to have a thoughtful coloring book that is about Animal Adoption and Animals that need Forever Homes.....I have been coloring that with Crayolas and Colored Pencils...coloring is very relaxing to me...

I like to purchase anything with dogs/cats and any animals pictures placed on it....I got many compliments yesterday at the store from random people who liked my Cat Christmas T-shirt....everyone liked it and said they had dog/cat t-shirts they wished for because they too had pets and adored animals...that's sweet...Everyone was very friendly and said Hello! and wished me Merry Christmas! I really like that!...very nice and cheerful too!

 I also purchased Goofball a new lightweight tie-up cord..it is for ginormous dogs that need a lightweight cord, (very tough cord but lightweight) the brand I like that works for me is Coastal Pet Products...on box--Titan?...anyway, it's at Atwoods store...they need more of this brand available for everyone! they work well for Goofball about 6 months and then they crackle and he rips them in two...so I purchase these often!...Haha!

I know that many elderly folks are without family at this time of year, and I think about them in the nursing homes, and those who are homebound and may need someone to stop by and gift them a holiday basket to wish them Merry Christmas!...I have been apart of gifting the baskets/sacks to the elderly before, homebound and the nursing homes...it makes me sad, they are alone and can't get out there as much as us younger people...we will all be elderly someday....so always be kind and think of those elderly people....

we like to gift Poinsettia's the flowers to them, or fruit baskets, candies, snacks, crackers, water, hot cocoa packets, teas, cheeses, canned meats, all packaged items....with a Christmas card and greeting from who is gifting the items..

as with any gift, you can gift off brand items too, it's all just the same thing in different packaging.

I created a surprise Christmas food basket for my Grandparents I included:

Fruit---Grapefruits, oranges--Halos brand, bananas, apples, pineapple, kiwi.

Nuts--everyone likes to purchase the bags of mixed nuts and use the metal nutcrackers to break these up.....healthy snack....they like them too.

Chocolate Cherry Cordials---My great-grandma(before she passed on) gifted boxes of these to all of her grandchildren when I was younger..i liked my box..I like the brands Queen Anne, Zackary, Cella's. I purchased 1 box...these are kind of like Bon-bons.

Hazelnut/chocolates---I like Ferrero Rocher in the gold wrapping, and the hazelnut chocolate in the jar called Nutella...it is good...other chocolate brands I enjoy are Godiva, Bedre, Hersheys, Russell Stovers, Cadbury, and Ghirardelli...I pretty much like any chocolate...so i included 1 set of these.

Meat/Cheese set---I enjoy the meat/cheese sampler sets.I included one of these..they liked it. The brands Hillshire and Eckrich are good. The cheeses Sargento, Kraft, The Laughing Cow, Frigo, Velveeta, Cacique, Babybel, Coburn Farms--I like those. I included 2 sets of cheeses..everybody likes cheese in my family(I guess we are all pretty cheesy! LOL!).....

Canned ham---Grandpa likes these so I purchased him 2..the brands made in USA are all he purchases(because of food safety) the brands Dak/Plumrose, Hormel, Bristol, Spam meats are ok with him.

Vienna Sausages--the small cans of these they like I got 4 of these..Libby's, Armour, Hormel--we keep looking for Hormel and can't find it anywhere near here..it was good!...these are in pork, beef, or chicken....I like these with crackers, sharp cheese, and mustard packets when I am working in the fields for a quick snack...I always throw the trash in the trash cans!...

Crackers--a box of Ritz crackers to enjoy meat/cheese and canned ham with.

Fruit Cakes---they like fruit cakes, and I included 1 of those they are an old tradition at Christmas, and a few Moon Pies...lol..I like those!.

Fruit pies--- we all like the Hostess Fruit pies, my Grandpa loves these!..i think the packaging on these are cute and colorful....they at one time made these in vanilla and chocolate pudding too, but we never see those anywhere!...he always looks for those...

Candy canes--My Grandma likes these...so I purchased Spangler candy canes or Brach's brand...

Tea--they like the tea from a restaurant so I purchased a plastic carton of that they have for purchase.

they loved their surprise Christmas food basket and I liked creating that for them...I also gifted them a few word searches with silly Christmas pens....

at Christmas there are so many old traditions with foods and gifting these at the holidays and we like to keep those old traditions going with the certain items everyone likes....and with cooking.



 










No comments:

Post a Comment