Sunday, August 9, 2015

alfalfa and prairie hay......

Many people are making hay bales...round and some square everywhere near here...

I like the smell of alfalfa hay when in the field.....

The 2 main types of hay we have baled for years is Alfalfa and Prairie.

I tend to like them both for feeding cows...horses like Alfalfa and it is really good for them.

bale wagons are something you always need to keep up and don't overload because you can have dangerous accidents.....People haul hay for the extra money this time of year and since the drought many farmers in all parts of the state and country have had hay shortages for years...so hay is something that is always needed...along with rain...

my Grandpa used a square baler when I was younger for baling hay and now in the past few years he started making round bales....Some people have machinery to make the ginormous square bales...those work too.

baling twine/netting and wire are used in the machinery to hold the bale together and we always keep the pastures cleaned up after feeding...so the pasture will be clean of those on the ground...safer for the animals and for your truck tires!....haha.

Dew-eze is equipment that we have added to the back of the truck and it helps you spear and move round bales and carry them to wherever you need to feed animals....Dew-eze is fun to me because I like to be able to hold the controller in my hand while setting in the truck when the wind is icy cold Brr!...and it just places the bale wherever you want to leave it for the animals...

I went to the fruit stand yesterday evening and I purchased a small jar of local raw honey, some peaches, and a watermelon...good!
The honey was really good and I could tell it had alfalfa and local pollens that I could sense were used by the bees to create the honey...

I am going to have some of that honey on toast this morning..





No comments:

Post a Comment