Saturday, June 4, 2016

growing corn, pop corn....

I found a potato bug floating in the cow's water tank yesterday, I just laughed at that stupid ol bug, that's what he gets for trying to ruin my potatos!!!....lol...I don't know how they find the potato plants in the garden, but they find them! I have some corn planted in my garden, it is still growing, the rain will help!, so I suppose the bugs haven't landed there yet to ruin the corn plants....


Corn is a wonderful food crop to grow..It has fed many people for many years...Farming corn is necessary for our world, everyone should learn to grow it all over the world to help end hunger in many nations....Corn has fed many nationalities, livestock, and countries....Field corn is good for livestock to enjoy, and also as a silage for the cows to have as food....it is loud smelling but cows like silage.....

Corn is easy to grow and you have to irrigate corn in the garden or field, so it needs water as does every crop...I think of planting a field of corn often when I see a neighboring field planting and growing corn...The corn stalks are tall and green and pretty! they are fun to get lost in they are so very tall!, but don't let anyone become lost!...

Many people like to dry corn stalks and sell them for Autumn decorations, and create corn field mazes for Autumn festivals or Halloween...Some people like to make brooms from corns stalks also...very neato.

I enjoy all corn varieties and watching it be farmed/grown/harvested--a lot of work in the field! Corn is a very important cash crop to our world, a wonderful food staple for all to enjoy everywhere...

Sweet corn and the other variety called Candy corn(not real candy just a variety name of corn) are usually the favorite varieties locally to be purchased....These are the two varieties my family likes to grow in the garden...it is good to freeze for a few months, blanche, then place in Ziplock/Freezer bags and freeze....

Knowing that it is a vegetable it is good for you, BUT I know many people are afflicted with Diabetes and they cannot have it for a meal, maybe they can farm it, but cannot enjoy it for a meal...

Corn can be made into many different food items for purchase: I know I will forget some..many to name off here...

Corn syrup
Vinegar
Masa Harina
Cornmeal
Grits


AND...then there's my favorite PopCorn!....lol...it is fun to watch Pop Corn Pop in the microwave or Pop Corn maker...amazing how those tiny little Pop corn seeds will Pop!..Only certain varieties can be popped...not all make pop corn...

You can purchase pop corn poppers for at home with popping oil/kernels, a few brands of pop corn makers are Presto and Betty Crocker..those are sometimes very fun to watch, I had one many years ago and I liked to watch it Pop!....haha...then season it myself...

Many local ballgames and businesses have pop corn makers and I hope they are very clean and sanitary, they need to be cleaned after use and removing all debris from the machine is needed! Use new oil, not old to pop the corn!..icky when it is not cleaned....I like the smell of popcorn that is just popped, it makes me think about ballgames...

People can sometimes use seasonings on their plain unflavored popcorn, seasonings are available in plastic shaker containers: Morton Popcorn Salt, Kernel Season's, Magic seasoning, a few I have used..OR you may wish to have no salt, just seasoning, and be plain...because of high blood pressure...or other heart ailments... 

Microwave pop corn is fun and much easier to create, just follow instructions and place in microwave..i like all flavors of the microwave pop corn....salty, buttery, cheese, spicy, kettle corn---sweet n salty....

Brands of pop corn I enjoy---
Orville Redenbacher
Pop Secret
Jolly Time
Pop Weaver
Act11
Great Value
Annie's
Jiffy Pop

You can also create pop corn the old-fashioned way in aluminum stovetop, self contained pans that you follow instructions and place over stove top, my Grandma made us some old fashioned pop corn like this once..i think the new brand for that is Jiffy Pop, I may try that!..She used aluminum foil over a pan somehow and made popcorn..it was fun!

Bagged Pop corn that is already popped and seasoned/drizzled caramel, chocolate, butter, toffee, with nuts, is a favorite of mine also these are some I enjoy:

Cracker Jacks--I have enjoyed this since I was a child, I always like the image/brand design of the sailor, holding the cute dog, a baseball in the background, and the Red, White, Blue on the box, it is an American Tradition..It is always fun to see what your prize in the box is!....lol...even if it is just a sticker with the name on it!..i enjoy that...I collect them....I like the caramel flavor with the peanuts...

Fiddle Faddle
Crunch n Munch
Popcorn Indiana
SmartFood
BoomChickaPop
Werther's Original Caramel Corn
Great Value

a few I have tried...simple to purchase bagged popcorn..it's already popped and you just enjoy...

popcorn is sometimes a much healthier snack and it is light, good for hot summer days I think....

julie














No comments:

Post a Comment