Monday, June 13, 2016

yellow squash from garden....

I found yellow squash yesterday evening in my garden...It is always sort of fun and a hide and seek game when looking at squash plants!....lol....There are many different varieties of squash, but I enjoy yellow the best...

Squash blossoms are very pretty I think...large sized yellow flowers and I enjoy looking at their golden color....

Native American people have traditional squash blossom necklaces for purchase that are very beautiful--they are a jewelry, made from metals and stones...I like them.

Anyway, my Grandma says that you don't need to let the squash grow too large because they are too tough to prepare for a meal, so pick them when they are medium sized....They grow quickly in the garden!..I have to check them every 3 days after picking a few of them....

I am going to have to prepare some squash for a meal today because I have so much!...haha!... I can either make a casserole, slice/boil, add milk, some sugar or No sugar, and butter.....or just fry it in canola oil...

I enjoy this recipe, my Grandma makes this one every summer.

Squash Casserole

6 medium sized sliced yellow squash
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 c. sour cream
1 (8oz) package of Stuffing Mix, StoveTop brand or off brand
1/2 c. melted Butter

Wash and rinse the squash. Wash and Chop onion. Cut both the ends off of the squash. Cut squash into 1/4 inch thick slices. Add small amount of salt. Boil squash and onions 5 minutes and drain. In separate mixing bowl, mix cream of chicken soup and sour cream. Fold in squash and onion mix to that. In separate bowl Mix butter and stuffing mix together. Save half of a handful of the stuffing mix to sprinkle onto the top of prepared casserole. Layer--stuffing, squash, stuffing, in a 7x12 inch deep set baking dish at 350 degrees for 30 minutes....

this is always a good way to prepare vegetables from the garden and make them useful when you have an overabundance of a vegetable and quickly need to use it before many more are picked!...that way nothing is wasted....

it is very fun for me to garden and see something grow from a package of seeds into a vegetable on your plate....lol...

everyone should always try to garden at home I think....that way everyone can have food and it can be more affordable that way maybe....on your property or even in your small backyard is ok if that is all the space you have, you can garden....Just water and weed your garden....

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment